Circuit Training Is Crucial During the Christmas Period
We all know that during the Christmas Holiday season we tend to eat more than usual and exercise less.
Everything we eat becomes energy and then reserves of sugar in our body if we don’t spend it, so give those calories a better destination and enjoy the holiday season without guilt.
Our suggestion is to put on a smart use of those calories with this circuit training for the whole body, consisting of 5 essential cardio and muscle toning exercises you can do at home, outdoor or at the gym.
Do one round of each exercise, resting up to 30 seconds between exercises if needed, and then repeat the circuit as many times as you want. After each round of the circuit, rest for 2 minutes to replenish your energy and drink some water. Let’s do it!
Exercise A -Walk to Plank to Push up
- Start in a standing position
- Place your hands on the floor and walk to the plank, keeping your abdominal tight
- Bring your knees down to the floor, then bring your body down too by bending your arms, while keeping elbows close to your ribs and pointing back
- Lift your knees and walk with your hands back to the starting position
- Repeat the exercise until completing 10 repetitions
(advanced option: push-up without knees supported)
Exercise B- Alternated Lunge
- Start in a standing position
- Take a big step back with your right leg, bending your knees (aim to reach 90 degrees bend with both knees), while maintaining an upright torso position and core activated.
- Step forward to return to the centre and repeat the move with the left leg
- Keep repeating, alternating the legs, until you do 20 steps back in total
Exercise C – Mountain Climbers
- Start in the plank position, with feet hip-width apart, arms extended but without blocking your elbows, shoulders over hands and fingers wide open on the floor
- Bring one knee forward, closer to the chest, without changing the position of the body and go back to starting point
- Repeat with the other leg
- Repeat the exercise alternating your legs while trying not to swing your torso, until you complete 20 repetitions
Exercise D – Squat Jump
1. Start in a standing position with your feet wider than your hips and pointing slightly outward
- Keeping your back straight and pointing your knees out, lower yourself as far as you can without having to change your torso position
- Make an explosive move to jump as high as you can
- The abdominal should remain tight throughout the movement
- Repeat until you complete 15 jumps
Exercise E – Combo: Side Plank & Ankle Taps
- Start lying on your side to start with side plank
- Place your forearm flat on the floor, with your shoulder directly on top of your elbow
- Lift your hips off the floor, leaving only your arm and feet supported (option: lower leg knee supported on the floor)
- Hold the position for 15-20 seconds, keeping tummy in and squeezing the glutes
- Before repeating the plank on the other side, turn on your back for the ankle taps
- With feet flat on the floor, knees bent and arms stretched at your sides, lift your head and shoulders off the floor and, from here, tilt your body to the side until you reach your ankle and repeat for the other side
- Continue to alternate sides until you do 30 repetitions in total(option: you can move slowly or quickly, as long as you keep the rest of the body static in the centre)
- Turn to the other side for a side plank and hold the position for 15-20 seconds.
You have completed one round! Now you can repeat the full circuit as many times as you wish for a longer workout and for greater caloric expenditure and muscle toning.
We wish you a Happy and Healthy Christmas!
Check out more gym programs here